Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Obama Campaign Still Crying About New Yorker Cover


For the fourth straight day, the Obama campaign continued to weep and wail about a New Yorker cover which depicted the Democratic nominee and his wife as a fundamentalist Muslim and terrorist.

Originally, the campaign issued a statement calling the cover "offensive and tasteless," but staffers have nonetheless persisted in bawling endlessly about the issue since the magazine hit newsstands.

"We've tried everything to calm them down," said New Yorker publisher Justin Phun. "First, we explained that this was just intellectual satire -- but that didn't seem to resonate. Quite frankly, we don't know what to do."

According to Phun, the cover illustrates the "Politics of Fear" which includes the misperception that Obama and his wife sympathize with Islamic extremists. However, the Obama campaign apparently still doesn't understand the joke and fears that many of their supporters will misinterpret the image.

"They thed I wuz a therowist," said the candidate, through a flood of tears. "Ith not fair! Waaaah!"

Phun says he has tried to console the nominee. Last night, he held him in his arms, hoping to gently rock him to sleep.

"Nothing seems to be working," said Phun.

"WAAAAAAAAAH," said Obama.

Obama's Republican rival, John McCain, who shares office space with Obama, initially agreed that the cover was in poor taste. However, today McCain urged Obama to wipe his eyes and move on.

"We're trying to run a phone bank and the people on the other end think there's a baby crying in the background," said McCain. "I have to tell them, no, that's my opponant. The last time I heard that much screaming, I was in a POW camp."

Many Obama campaign officials are concerned that the New Yorker cover may distort the candidate's image -- which appears to be that of the perpetual victim.

"We've gone to great lengths to paint a picture for the American people of their dream candidate," said I.B. Lyon, an Obama strategist. "We've managed to find a good looking guy who's a great speaker, has lots of snappy comebacks, and focuses exclusively on what other people have done to hurt him. Now, someone has gone and put him in fundamentalist garb and given his wife an assault rifle."

Though campaign sources aren't yet ready to reveal their next move, some predict that if the controversy doesn't subside, the campaign may have to change directions.

"God, I hope we don't have to start campaigning on the issues," said one staffer. "What a pain in the ass that would be."

Asked about such a possibility, Obama held back his sobs just long enough for one brief comment.

"I don wanna dalk about tha ithyoos. I don't wike dalking about tha ithyoos. Waaaaah! I wanna be on thee-vee! I don wanna debate John McCain. Heeth mean! Waaaaaah!"

No comments: